Monday, June 4, 2012

Dynamic Duos #5 & RetroSketches #14 - Singin' in the Rain!

You could be mistaken for thinking I'm on an umbrella "kick" at the moment. Here's my second style of umbrella in a few days (you can see the first one here):-


I've made this encouragement card for this week's challenges at the Dynamic Duos & RetroSketches (click on the graphics below to take you directly to the respective challenges):-

 


This card was quite a challenge that I set for myself, as I struggle with single layer cards.  I am way more comfortable if I can add a layer or a mat somewhere, lol.  I was inspired by the DT at Retrosketches (Arielle, Jackie, Kasia & Laurie) to keep my card very CAS & was thrilled how it turned out.  The colours set by the Dynamic Duos Team were the perfect starting point for the bright umbrella.

I scored some random lines to create the border strip, adding a rhinestone to the end of each to form a droplet.  Here's a close up (sorry, it doesn't really show up that well, but you can click on the images to make them larger for easier viewing):-


& here is my little brollie, the top of which was quickly & easily made from punches:-


The sentiment was computer generated.   :)

ETA:  A big thank you to the Teams at both Challenges for these:-




Card Components:  (all SU except as noted)
Cardstock:  White Shimmer, Island Indigo, Metallic Silver
DSP:  Brights Stack
Inks:  Real Red, Island Indigo
Other:  Scallop Oval Punch, 1.3/4" Circle Punch, Basic Jewels, Dimensionals, Scoring Tool, Blender Pen
Non SU:  Small Handheld Circle Punch

23 comments:

Bronwyn Eastley said...

That is such a cute interpretation of the sketch. Plus ... I'm so glad you used the colours over at Dynamic Duos this week. Thanks for playing along.

Christine Blain said...

This is very sweet, Helen! Love your inspired use of the sketch, and colours - so clever, my friend.

Anni said...

You created such a cute card! The umbrella is lovely and the rhinestones as raindrops are fabulous!
Thanks for playing with us at Dynamic Duos.
Anni

Melissa said...

This is simply adorable, Helen! LOVE those gemstone raindrops and your umbrella is so cute...love how you created it! Thanks for joining us at Dynamic Duos again this week! :)

Barb said...

I would never think to use my punches this way, so creative! love the color scheme too :)

Paige said...

So clever and creative - love this awesome card! So happy you joined us this week at Dynamic Duos!

Allisa said...

Such a cute card. Love your raindrops and your sentiment! Thanks for playing with us at Dynamic Duos!

Lisa said...

What a a sweet little umbrella and I love the sparkling raindrops! Thanks for playing along with us at Dynamic Duos!

kingstonmama said...

I love your take on the sketch. Such a sweet little umbrella and the gems are fabulous raindrops! :) ann Y.

Paula said...

The rhinestones as raindrops is inspired Helen! Love the cute unbrella too. I have finally made your flowerpot card and you will see it on my blog in the next couple of days!

Tracey McNeely said...

What a darling card, that umbrella is so cute.

Kim S said...

I LOVE the detail on those raindrops! And the patterned paper on the umbrella is a fun and creative touch! I'm so glad you're playing along at Dynamic Duos!

Darnell J Knauss said...

This card is cute as a button, Helen! I've got to get me one of those cute umbrella images. I love this!

Linda Beeson said...

This is simply sweet! LOVE the colors and that cute umbrella.

Nancy Seed said...

This is adorable. Great use of punches to make the "brollie".

Susan Joyce said...

Very cute, love the paper pieced umbrella and the bling. Thanks' for joining us at Dynamic Duos this week.

Jenny said...

Super card, I love the bling and how yo made the brolly from punched shapes :0)
Jenny x

TrishG said...

This is so cute. Love the umbrella and the rhinestones!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Fantastic, Helen! Love Love it! Hugs xxx
PS Sorry ... I have been MIA ... baby minding and bookwork have taken over my life! Hugs xxx

Patrice said...

Helen this is awesome. Love the punched brolly, and your bling rain drops are genius! Love it.

Laurie said...

Oh so cute! I love the bling!! Thanks for playing along at RetroSketches!

Anne Marie Hile said...

It's raining sparkles! Eeek! Now that is my kind of shower. I absolutely love the clean design and the paper punched umbrella. Too cute! Thanks for joining us this week at Dynamic Duos! :)

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Congrats on the wins! Well deserved ... and yep! The Challenge Queen strikes again! Hugs xxx